Burda 7513 – A Phoenix

Fabric, Keepsake Calico, Contemporary Circles, JoAnn’s
Contrast, Pimatex Cotton Dots, Fabric.com
Sandals, Easy Spirit
 
I feel sooo much better now! I fixed my olives dress…no, I did not really burn the pattern on the bonfire. Just thought about it and fussed a little bit.
  
Here are the pattern and my original  olives dress. It really is pretty true to the pattern, except that I lengthened it and left off the pockets:

Actually, the dress has a beautiful bodice. And the skirt is pretty as well, an easy taper:
 
 
 
 
So I did the only logical thing, really. I cut it up redrafted it and kept the best parts! It was pretty easy:
  • Based on other dresses, I decided I wanted this one to be 39 1/2″ long from center shoulder to hem.
  • I allocated 13″ in length to the bodice, 2″ to a waistband, and 24 1/2″ to the skirt.
  • And marked/cut my bodice at 13 1/2″ down from the shoulder to remove it from the skirt.
  • I marked/cut the skirt 25″ up from the hem, since the hem was already finished.
  • And cut 2 strips of contrasting fabric, 39″ x 3″, for the waistband and waistband facing.
  • All seams were sewn at 1/2″ because that’s the distance to the edge of my general purpose pressure foot!

Does anyone know where the 5/8″ seam originated and why there’s not a 5/8″ pressure foot 🙂

 
You can’t really see them, but I did put patch pockets on the front as well.
 
 
This made such a cute dress! It is so comfortable, just slips over my head, no zipper or buttons or snaps. Just right.  I traced a new pattern with my changes and made another one right away!
 
Fabric, Calico, Holly Lobby
 
A few sewing notes:
  • The hem is actually an applied band, cut at 4″ wide, folded in half, and attached as one would attached a tee shirt band. I like the extra weight this gives to the bottom of a short cotton dress.
  • The armhole binding is finished to the outside instead of the inside, and is topstitched. This picks up the topstitching in the bodice neckline.
  • I used the front bodice facing from View A and drafted a back neckline facing. I think Burda meant for the front facing to be used, but left out the cutting and sewing directions for it!  Oh well, it is Burda – best to read everything before starting!
 
 
 
Happy I saved my dress… Coco

10 thoughts on “Burda 7513 – A Phoenix

  1. Thank you, Ruth! I'm grateful for sunshine this morning and wishing that nasty storm would just move on, poor folks up on the Gulf coast.

    Like

  2. Really Coco, you've made a NEW dress! Lovely, both of them. Good tip about the hem band – thanks. Keep your head down for the next few days until Isaac blows over.

    Like

Comments are closed.