Oops – it’s November! Oh, well. I love my long wrap robe. My ‘Garment a Month’ for October and for every month until I wear it out! It came out just as I hoped when I wrote about my plans for it back on Oct. 8.
I found a pattern from Burda Style that has almost everything that I needed. It’s long, wraps, has pockets, and, can you believe it, has a belt that is attached at the back waist. The last detail is one I’ve always hoped to find – it’s so pretty and 40’s-looking.
When I studied the pattern pieces, the only issue I anticipated was the depth of the wrap, which was about 4 or 5 inches. I like a robe to really wrap in the front. No peek-a-boo and lots of cozy.
So I spent about 3 hours working with the pattern and my much-loved-soon-to-be-gone cotton robe that’s being replaced by this new one. Turns out the best starting place was the size 16 (I usually sew a size 14). And my only ‘major’ adjustment was for the front wrap.
I added 1.5″ at the shoulder (which it needed anyway to match up with my old robe), and then drafted a new front line, easing out a total of 3.5″ just past the neckline curve. The same 1.5″ were added to the back shoulder all the way to the waist (I was glad to have more room across the back).
The other change was a simple addition of 3″ to the length. In the end, 1.5″ would have been enough – but I think that is very fabric-dependent and will keep the addition for my next robe as well. Just in case!
|Nice big patch pockets! My fabric is a very light weight poly-rayon-spandex jersey knit from
Fabric.com. To guard against pulling at the pocket corners, I boxed the side edge topstitching.
|An easy add, not in the pattern – a hanging loop on the inside back neckline!|
|The back waistband. So pretty. It is actually quilted, I used low-loft poly batting.
Great place for all kinds of fun – monogramming, embroidery…
|The inside of the back waistband. Very smooth and comfy.|