My record with Style Arc patterns so far is not encouraging. I sewed the Rowe’s Tunic last year. And think it looks like a golf dress on me. I really need to work on it some more or re-cycle the fabric.
I was so excited to see that Style Arc was offering the Fiona top free with any June purchase. It looks so adorable and so my style. I jumped on it really fast.
And purchased the Heidi hoodie to go with. Total cost $21.50 AUD with shipping. From my chair, the Fiona was not exactly free 🙂 but I like having a little fun.
I do not like it, Sam I am. To me, it looks like a bad tuxedo jacket from the late 80’s. Grant you, my fabric is not ‘drapey’. But it is a 4-way knit, as suggested by the little swatch included in the pattern envelope. This is my muslin, so I used a knit that I am willing to lose. It’s an awful color in person (thank goodness I did not touch my heathered marigold jersey).
- The band ( which can be worn up or turned back to form a shawl collar) is 6 1/2″ deep at the center back. Way up in my hairline, even folded! If I had used a more drapey knit, this band would have rolled more than once, I’m sure. It is just too wide.
- The band is still almost 5″ wide at the waist. It really is more like the line drawing and very little like the ‘model’ on the pattern envelope.
- The pattern comes with 1/4″ seam allowances and an abundance of notches to help with the fitting of that awesome curved band. A notch in a 1/4″ seam allowance. When I traced off my tissue, I increased the SA to 1/2″ to accommodate those notches. Made me work a lot!
- I won’t talk about the fabric layout, because there isn’t one.
- Or the suggested yardage, because I needed 1/2 yard more than was indicated for my size.
- Sizes – Measurements are only proved for lucky size 10 – we are left to guess if these are body or finished garment measurements:
Pattern measurements based on a size 10:
There is a 5 cm or 2 in circumference grade between the sizes
Bust = 95 cm or 37.5 in
Waist = 85 cm or 33.5 in
Sleeve length from centre back neck = 58 cm or 23 in
Centre back length = 64 cm or 25 in
I will say this – My size 12 Fiona is spot-on for at least one measurement, the center back length is a little over 25″ long. A better indicator, my Rowe’s tunic, also a size 12, fits really well through the bust, hip, and waist.