First, credit to Mary, of Biblioblog…several weeks ago, she updated her Pattern Review of the tank version of this pattern with her skirted version, and I fell in love with it. It is so pretty!
Bonus – the pattern comes with a bunch of versions, all for woven fabric (although I plan to use it for knits as well, since it has no bust darts).
Really liking this with jeans, the way Mary styled it.
This fabric is a beautifully embroidered eyelet from fabricmart.com. It’s a thick cotton and feels very rich. I’m not a big fan of blue, but one morning Robin Roberts, co-host on Good Morning America, was wearing a stunning royal blue dress. After that, I was on the lookout for something in royal blue.
The unexpected challenge with this fabric was matching the parallel eyelets vertically and horizontally when I laid out the pattern pieces! The color is soooo pretty with white.
Sewing notes – I did struggle a bit with the bodice of this pattern. The straps are very narrow, and I don’t like peek-a-boo lingerie straps 🙂 And there are no bust darts, always a challenge for me with a woven top.
- I sewed View D in Medium. This is the skirted version that does not drop in the back.
- The bodice was lengthened by 1″, front and back.
- The front bodice was cut on the fold, rather than seamed.
- I widened the straps, but had to rework the armholes and shoulder seams quite a bit to get a nice fit.
- And I added about an inch to the skirt. Just for good measure because I’m 5’7″ and generally add a couple inches to a pattern.
After finishing this top, I knew I wanted to make a couple more in light-weight woven fabrics. It’s such an easy piece to wear over pants, and it’s a little dressier than a T-shirt. But I wasn’t happy with the bodice. So – yes, I redrafted it for wovens. I’ve redone the shoulders and armholes, and added a bust dart for my full B-cup. I’m much happier and will share a new version soon.
But meanwhile, one more look, with Virginia leggings…
September is National Sewing Month! And I’m on board – it’s all I have planned…