Continuing the search for summer pants! McCall 7164…
So cute! Soft Surroundings has had these pants for a couple years, and I’ve always liked them. Now McCalls has a pattern that is almost a replica. I had to make these.
Here’s the line art. Bonus with the pattern: full, loose pants and shorts. I love this!
The back side…just plain, elastic waist, easy fit.
- I sewed View D in size M (12-14).
- And added to the length, 1″ on each of the gathered middle pieces, and 2″ to the other pattern pieces. It turns out I don’t need the extra length, and I’ll leave it off on my next version.
- The seams are faux flat-felled, as on the Soft Surroundings pants, everywhere except the inside leg and crotch seams.
- The original crotch for my size was 27″, so I added 1/2″ to top edges of all pieces to accommodate my height (5’7″) and personal measurements.
- And I added 2″ to the top of all pieces to create a cut-on waistband. I don’t like the look of a flat waistband across my abdomen! I drafted the elastic casing all the way round and used 3/4″ elastic to spread the gathers evenly, front and back.
- No pockets – this fabric would show them too much.
And the fabric dictated a few more considerations. It is a rayon/linen (55%/45%) marigold yellow blend from Fashion Fabrics Club. It’s not my favorite blend, but it has great drape, which is why it ended up in this muslin!
After messing with the pants, and ironing every seam and stitch as I sewed, they were very LONG! I hemmed them, put them back in the laundry – and yes, they were shorter, short enough for sandals.
For these pics – ironed once again, so I’m wearing heels. aarrgghh. They are going back in the wash, I don’t do heels, and they’ll never see an iron again!
What’s to love – these gathered insets…
And they are incredibly comfortable, different, kicky, out there…
Now – a beauty note…
After Ashley’s wedding in February, I decided to let my gray hair grow out. With the help of a product (below) that sprinkles in the hairline and really covers up any grow-out. You’ve seen it on me and probably didn’t notice.
A week or so ago, I cut my hair back to all gray (my hair grows an incredible 3/4″ a month…thank you, hair lords). And – no. With all the white scars on my face, and my fair skin, I had no features. So I re-colored my hair. But it is very short for me!
It feels great! Not sure if I’ll let it grow back, at least not during the summer. It has been in the 90’s here for over a month, having short hair is so nice, so manageable …
End of beauty note. Next – I just downloaded the new Hot Patterns Shirt-Tail Tee. And the In-House Kimono Tee. My stash beckons.