Managing Mandy… I ran across some pics of the Tessuti Mandy Boat Tee on Flickr a few days ago and got curious. It’s a free download and apparently enjoys some popularity. It also looks very similar to the Grainline Studio Hemlock Tee (also gratis), so I decided to give it a try.
I’m not picking on them, but it’s invited. The pattern says the bust width is 58″ (148 cm) – after flat measuring 3 times, I come up with 52″ at the bustline, drawn through a bust apex at 10.5″ down from the shoulder. At the armhole the width is 54″. Now, that’s a big difference.
My first version was a wipe-out. The boatneck was uncomfortably high, the back and front side edges didn’t align well, and I could barely get the sleeve on my arms. But that’s the purpose of a muslin.
A couple more pics of my remake of the Mandy, then on to sewing notes:
|Fabric – poly/cotton/lycra from Fabric Mart|
|Aaack – what a smug look! not intended…|
- Decreased the bustline width to 46″:
- Removed 1″ at CB and CF (1/2″ at the fold line).
- Removed an additional 4″ (1″ each side of CF and CB, midway down the shoulder).
- Added 6″ to the body length, back and front, using the lengthen/shorten line on the pattern.
- Tweaked the sleeve:
- Removed 2″ from the length of the sleeve.
- Added 1/4″ to each sleeve side seam. The resulting bicep width is 13″.
- On the body, lowered the armscye by 1/4″ to fit the new sleeve.