I’m on a StyleArc roll!
And you can tell from the twirly pic that this worked.
When StyleArc released the Winsome Dress pattern recently, I was sold immediately – I love the drawstring detail on the back. I would have bought the pattern just for that – I smoosh and hack patterns all the time. But I was also drawn by all the piecing and seams. And draped pockets and asymmetrical hem. There’s a lot going on in this pattern…
I’m always more comfortable starting a new pattern if I can find reviews and tips from other sewists. In this case, I couldn’t find any. There are just a couple photos on the StyleArc site, and the dress shown is done in a woven fabric. The suggested fabrics: Crepe, silk, rayon or any fabric that drapes.
So of course I chose to do this in a thin rayon/lycra jersey with 4-way stretch! No-fear sewing for the holidays…but it worked 🙂
My sewing notes:
- I purchased the PDF version, the 10-12-14 bundle, and sewed size 10.
- I lengthened the dress pieces by 2″ using the lengthen/shorten lines on the pattern (I’m 5’7″, and the extra 2″ are perfect).
- And I added 4″ to the sleeve, just because I didn’t want to come up short. A couple inches would have been enough.
- As usual, I drafted my pattern with 1/2″ seam allowances everywhere (StyleArc includes 3/8″ seam allowances in the main bits of the pattern and 1/4″ allowances at the neckline).
- I didn’t sew the front button placket – that’s scary sewing on a thin knit. And IMHO, the placket is kind of the wrong vibe for this dress – it seems so sporty. Instead, I trimmed about 1/4″ from the neckline (I tested to be sure it would go over my head) and finished it with self-fabric binding.
Sewing the back drawstring casing was easy and fun. Those buttonholes – practice, practice. Putting a buttonhole into knit fabric can be challenging. I settled on a mid-weight fusible non-woven interfacing to stabilize the area, then trimmed away the excess once the buttonholes were done.