AKA, taking matters into my own hands…
This morning I finished the bodice on a new dress. And it would not go over the shoulders on my dress form (yes, you, Emile). What!
Emile has always been a little larger than life: broad across the back and shoulders, a very large neck (well, it goes down to 16″, but my neck is 14.5″), a tummy I don’t have, and simply awful posture. But, for 5 years, I’ve managed. I should have bought a Small, but bought a Medium. Self image – I just couldn’t believe I could use a Small. Silly.
Anyway, I took a cup of coffee out on the porch and thought about it. I’m not overflowing with $ to buy a new dress form, so I came to a creative decision: plastic surgery.
Tools – If I still had a power saw, I would have used that!
Step 1 – Removing the non-collapsing problematic shoulder – it was pretty easy and not at all messy. The form is just plastic.
Step 2- Securing the outside fabric with narrow duct tape. In a chevron pattern to add some style to this project:
Step 3 – Finishing the edge with full-width duct tape so it’s smooth and pretty:
Result – oh boy, I did it, and this fix will likely hold up for a while.
Emile was a great sport.
Happy Saturday! Coco