Yes, it’s the middle of summer, and a cardigan evokes fall sewing. But – the stores are so cold, especially the grocery market! I always put on a sweater or shawl to go in that freezer joint. One day in December, I didn’t have one with me, and my Raynauds Syndrome sent me a swift kick.
Since then, I’ve been messing around with long cardigan patterns, with the intention of making one in black ponte and keeping it in the car.
After my disappointment with my self-drafted version (here), lots of you suggested the Megan Cardigan. It really is cute, and I like the pointed side seam detail.
Here’s the line art, such as it is, and the cardigan does NOT look like this…but it’s close. Sort of. A few sewing notes:
- Based on my measurements, I sewed the size Medium. And it was a silly mistake. I used a rayon/nylon/spandex ponte de roma, which is very stable. It has very little horizontal stretch and no vertical stretch – I should have gone up a size. My cardigan is a little small, tight in the arms and across the back – sigh. But it will be gifted, and I’ll make another in size Large.
- Having only 2 yards of fabric, I shortened the pattern by 4″, and, honestly, I think I prefer this length.
- Many people have mentioned that the very narrow neckband is a bit fiddly to attach. I used an unfinished width of 2.5″, which finishes at about 7/8″ wide. Thanks, everyone, for the heads up!
- I didn’t use the pattern instructions for hemming and finishing the bottom edge of the band – I think this looks pretty sloppy:
Instead, I hemmed the cardi first, and then attached the finished band. IMHO, the result is less bulky and much nicer.
- Other than the topstitching, I sewed the whole thing on the serger, 2 needles. What a fun little project – it has just enough going on to keep it interesting.
Bye for now! Coco