Every once in a while (usually Jungle January time), I start craving a bit of animal print in my wardrobe. I ordered this cotton/lycra leopard sateen from Fabric Mart in December, and I had a good laugh when it arrived. I had sewn it before!
The stretch sateen is a perfect weight for these pants, Vogue 9217.
I’ve sewn these pants 5 times now, and as usual made just a couple tweaks. Every fabric is different, and so am I after losing a lot of weight.
- I took 3/4″ from the side seams, back and front, at the hip curve.
- And took about 1/2″ out of the curve in the back rise.
- Because I used a straight hem and wanted a longer length, I added 3″ to the hem allowance.
For the topper, I looked through all my patterns for something that would tuck nicely and be a little form-fitting. The Lark Tee is perfect, and, strangely, I haven’t sewn it since I made the cardigan variation a couple years ago (post here).
This is my first Tee version, and, gosh, I really like it! I used the crew neck version, top left in the line art, with long sleeves.
I made just a few adjustments, but nothing extraordinary:
- The tee has 1/4″ seam allowances (read that as use a serger). Because I do flat-felled shoulders on all my garments to make them comfortable, I added 3/8″ to the shoulder seams.
- I didn’t use the neck band, opting for binding instead. I just like it better.
- I knew from sewing the cardi that the sleeve pattern is a bit short for me, so I added 1″ to the length.
- And the tee is long! I raised the hem by 3 1/4″ – tucked in, it finishes midway down my hip.
Here are a couple pics with my black batwing tee, M6203 (post here). I think I like black more than white with these pants.