Well, this didn’t take me long! My second, and very favorite , utility jacket version of this great pattern from McCalls.
This is my third version – here’s a look at the previous two (cotton/lycra twill and ripstop). They’re both a little stiff, although the twill is more comfortable than the ripstop.
This latest is Brussels washer linen, which is a linen/rayon blend, more linen than rayon. It is lightweight, rumply after 4 wash/dry cycles, and has a nice slubbed finish.
It’s light enough that I was able to use a drawstring in the waistband casing. I really like the way this looks.
This is almost as long as the longest view, but I took the curve out of the back.
Some sewing notes:
- I sewed the size small, instead of the medium.
- The drawstring is 1/4″ synthetic cord. The pattern calls for 1/8″ cord, but that seems a bit narrow to me. And I only used it in the waist, not in the hem or collar.
- I placed my casing about an inch below the marking on the pattern, because I’m long-waisted. Even so, it’s does ride a little above my natural waist – but it’s where I like it!
- Once again, I made my own pocket, nice and big, and added a band at the bottom of the sleeve.
- I used a vertical buttonhole that’s rounded at the top and bottom. And I practiced a lot to get the right size and thread tension.
Great lines and detail, I’m crazy about topstitching, so this was a lot of fun for me
Next up, I’m still working on a long knit hoodie. Wild things…