More love for the Blackwood Cardigan pattern from Helen’s Closet.
Feeling adventurous, I used a very stretchy (60%/40%) rayon/nylon/lycra ponte from Fabric Mart (my first version was in hacci knit, here).
I actually began construction with the neckline band, because I knew it would be the biggest challenge. I did not want to end up with a wavy, stretched out band! So – my approach:
- I keep my ironing board at table height, so it can double as a work surface. The foam pad makes a great pin cushion as well!
- I measured the band and did all my work with a measuring tape above it to ensure I wasn’t stretching the fabric. Or possibly shrinking it when I applied the fusible interfacing.
- After I folded the band and gave it a press, I did some fancy basting to prevent shifting when it was sewn. It took a while, but was worth the effort.
- I also made a 12″ long replica for testing my stitches, tension, and so on.
A couple more sewing notes:
- I staystitched the neckline edges of the garment to stabilize them while I was handling the fabric. On the back neckline, I stitched from the center back to the shoulder. On the front pieces, I stitched from the bottom edge to the shoulder.
- To avoid stretching my seams, I sewed them first on the sewing machine, and simply finished the edges on the serger.
Whew! but it all worked 🙂
Next up, of course I’m going to sew this in a cotton/lycra jersey!
Bye for now, Coco