This could be titled ‘how to turn a 1-hour project into a 2-day project!
I’ve been really intrigued by all the StitchSisters kaftans popping up on Instagram. So much so that I decided to give this free pattern a go and join in the fun.
My version is color-blocked with stripes.
And all that color blocking is which is why my project took a couple days. I’ve had lots of linen remnants this year, and I wanted to use them. I spent hours on the cutting board, futzing around with pieces. This is not my favorite thing to do. Working with my remnants, I managed this dress. Not all of the pieces are cut on the grainline, some are cut across the grainline, but always, all of them, straight. NO bias going on here.
- I based my pieces on the size 8. I’m 5’6 1/2″ tall, so I added an extra inch at the hemline. And over an inch to the length of the sleeve.
- My goal was to have the blocks grow longer, top to bottom, and have the color ‘weight’ go down as well.
- I spent some time on the sleeve, within the first block, so that the sleeve/side seam would meld without a color interruption.
- I thought an intermittent color stripe (pink) would balance the overall silhouette.
- I did not use a CF seam on this. My back and front are the same width. And I drew my neckline from the Charlie Caftan and faced the neckline. It’s such a nice clean finish at this focal point.
I love the result!
This took a couple days, but it was was all fun 🙂 I really like this!
Ciao – Coco