It’s a beautiful cool south Florida morning! Only about 65°, and I’m actually cold in these pics 🙂
Recently I made the Grainline Studio Alder as a v-neck top, two actually, in Brussels washer linen (post here and here). After wearing them, I realized that they’re a bit large, and the v-neck is a little wider than I like. Not to worry, I washed them a few times to shrink them, and all is well.
However – I decided to draft the pattern in a smaller size (8 instead of 10) and to sew it in cotton/lycra jersey. So brave… and a great result!
- As before, I used the self-faced left side for the right side as well, eliminating the attached button band. I re-shaped the v-neckline to be more narrow and 1″ higher and drafted new facings.
- I can pull this over my head, so I just attached the buttons through both sides, with no buttonholes. Yes, I was avoiding the angst of sewing a buttonhole in a knit fabric!
- To add some back interest, I added 2.5″ to the width of the lower back and gathered it into the yoke.
- The back yoke is unlined, which keeps the ‘weight’ of the fabric even from neck to hem and decreases bulk in the armhole binding.
- My finished center back length is 26.5″.
- And I didn’t used pockets on the front. I did cut them out and prep them, but they didn’t look right, they were just too heavy for this knit.
I’m loving the pants I’m wearing, McCalls 7634 (first post here). A little tattoo art for Halloween!
Speaking of Halloween, my cute Ashley in costume for the Halloween party she and Darrin host every year 🙂
Happy Halloween! Coco