Yes, I make a lot of muslins, but I don’t always write about them. Having a 1 3/4 yard ponte remnant, I decided to do a little pattern play with S2703.
It’s an ‘old’ pattern that I picked up to make a replacement for my worn-out RTW (either JJill or Coldwater Creek) jacket.
The pattern suggests a variety of woven fabrics, so of course I want to make it in a knit 🙂
- I sewed the size 10, with 4″ added to the length. The original pattern is very short!
- Given all the other curve and cutesy details, I squared my front bottom edges.
- The sleeves are bracelet length, not my favorite, so I added 4″ to them as well.
- Not wanting the jacket to be too fitted in the torso, I added 5/8″ to the front and back side seams at the waistline, and re-drew the them accordingly.
- Weird thing: the pattern has a lined upper and lower front and a full yoke-sized lining at the upper back. This would be much too much fabric in ponte. So I drafted 3″ wide facing for the back neckline and front edges.
- The collar on this jacket is wonderful!! It’s cut in one piece, no worry or fuss with the front curves. To keep it soft and flexible, I did not interface it.
- What didn’t work – the front waist band. I should have lined it in a woven fabric to prevent stretching.
I won’t keep this muslin, but I definitely have plans for the pattern – I would love this in a very lightweight white French terry for summer.
Parting shot: This orchid has been growing in my guava tree since I bought it as a little dried out thingie in a net bag, eight years ago. It’s blooming for the first time! and I think it might be a cattleya.