This is becoming a love story – I’m enjoying my first challis Olya so much that I quickly started work on a second one.
Delightful pattern, impeccable drafting:
Just to mix things up a bit (more), I chose a printed challis for this one. Yes, I spent ages matching the print and deciding which pattern and color elements should go where 🙂
I love the shirttail hem, it’s not exaggerated and just goes with the flow of the shirt.
Sewing notes, no changes from my first version, but a recap:
- I drafted the size 8, with 1/2″ seam allowances instead of the included 3/8″ SA.
- The sleeve:
- I added 1/2″ to the length.
- Instead of a buttoned cuff, I used a 2″ wide band, using the cuff pattern but sewn closed to width and attached.
- I also gathered my sleeve into the band – no pleats.
- The neckline and collar:
- My front neckline, collar stand, and collar are drafted from the Named Saraste blouse pattern.
- The collar is softer, larger, and about 1″ lower in front than the Olya pattern.
- Once again, no front pockets! I simply closed the entire bodice seam.
- I added 1″ to the width of the back lower bodice and gathered it into the yoke – no pleats.
- Challis is fairly translucent, so I underlined the plackets, cuff, collar stand, and collar with white broadcloth to prevent print shadows. BTW, here’s a succinct and helpful guide to some potentially confusing sewing terms: interfacing, lining, interlining, and underlining.
- The yoke is also faced in white broadcloth, same reasoning.
I love this shirt tucked into jeans!
An aside: I recently posted pics of a new dress on Instagram (you can click on the IGram icon in my sidebar). It’s my True Bias Nikko top/McCall 6559 combo (blog post here). And I received a wonderful compliment on the way into the grocery this morning 🙂