Muslin time! I’ve been thinking about drafting a mandarin collar blouse for 8 years – ever since I saw a young woman in the dentist office wearing a white sleeveless version over jeans. It was so fresh and feminine.
I’m right in the middle of making a dress, but decided to stop and get started on the blouse.
My starting point was the beautiful Grainline Alder shirtdress. It’s so well-drafted and lends itself to many variations.
Some time ago, Jen posted a tutorial on a band collar option, using just the collar stand. Brilliant!
- I started with the size 8, with a few tweaks to accommodate my hollow chest and thin neck.
- The collar stand – I wanted it a bit higher with a fuller curve at the front edge. And no button.
I’m so pleased with the result!
- Impossible to see on this print, I also added 2.5″ to width of the back piece, gathered into the yoke. I just like the added ease provided by this small change and have incorporated it in all my Alder shirtdress versions.
- This muslin has a CB of 25″, but I’m planning to narrow this hem and lengthen future versions to 26.5″
- Miscellaneous: my fabric is cotton voile from Fabric Mart. To ensure that the collar would not be floppy, I interfaced it with midweight non-woven interfacing. And I used cotton broadcloth to interface the front button bands.
- I also drafted 2″ wide facings for the neckline, front and back, to add stability around the collar seam.
Great project, soon to be sewn in white fabric.
Parting note: You guys are the best. I am so uplifted by all the thoughtful comments on my last post. I really do feel that I have a team of friends supporting me. Thank you 🙂 Coco