Coming up to periscope depth – yes, I’m still here! I’ve been in such a slump. After almost 2 1/2 years of lockdown, forced and then chosen, I’m hoping to regain my footing. I know lots of you can relate. My son and I were talking yesterday, sitting on the front porch, watching the world go by, and he asked if I am ready to return to in-person church services. And I think I am, especially since he’ll go with me. All good…
And so much for that! Check out this beautiful little blouse, the Norma from Fibre Mood.
I love the neckline and puffed sleeve. It’s much like the Anna Allen Anthea blouse , but has a much softer neckline.
I began my photo session outside, but, wow, so hot, over 90 degrees – I quickly retreated to the porch.
Sewing Notes – it may seem like a lot, but I made a lot of the drafting decisions before I drew my tissue:
- I drafted size 8, extending the seam allowance to 1/2″. I don’t do 3/8″ SAs on woven fabrics!
- Raised the neckline by 1″.
- Lengthened the bodice 1 1/4″.
- Redrew the sides to forgo the shaping and to add width to the bodice below the armscye. The result is somewhat A-lined, with a finished bottom width of 41″ and a straight hemline.
- Used a 1 1/4″ hem allowance to add structure to the base of the blouse, rather than use the double-fold narrow hem of the pattern.
- Neckline facings are included, but I added 1/4″ to the width to match the width of the hem allowance when topstitched.
- Shortened the sleeve by 1 1/2″. The original is pretty long.
- Added 1/4″ to the unfinished width of the cuff pattern. I like the wider cuff, it doesn’t get lost under the sleeve gathers.
- I also spread out the sleeve cap gathering to avoid the bunching at the top and the funky forward sleeve drape that it would cause (the Anthea blouse has the same bunched up sleeve head, I just think it’s too much). I learned this the hard way and had to remove and re-insert the first sleeve.
Great pattern, fun and easy to sew. I have white Brussels washer linen ready to be cut for a second version:-)