I have sharkbite fever…
Recently I’ve sewn a couple knit tops that have a draped side hem, and I love them. They’re just so much fun to wear. Since Fabric Mart and Craftsy conspired to increase my stash of rayon crepe fabrics, it was time to sew a sharkbite with a woven fabric. Ha. No pattern. I have over 100 patterns, but not the pattern.
I don’t mind drafting a hemline, but it’s nice to have a pattern – it’s simpler, and it builds confidence. I first saw this pattern on the See & Sew shelf at JoAnns, and I almost passed on it. The envelope pics are pretty bad. But I picked it up, checked out the line art, and decided to give it a try.
It’s actually pretty cute!
This started as a muslin, made from every square inch of a rayon crepe remnant. I flat-measured the pattern, decided to sew the size 12, and made only a couple changes:
- I drafted a v-neck, to add some balance to the length and hemline.
- And I used 3/4 length sleeves, because the long sleeves just don’t seem to go with the top. Too much.
One thing I noticed is that it looks a lot longer on the models than it does on me (I’m 5’7″). Butterick must have lengthened it for the fit models. ummm. Nonetheless, I did goof by not adding a couple inches, something I usually do.
Not a game stopper, because I really like how this turned out. I wore it to the hardware store yesterday and felt very pretty.
And… tomorrow is my day. Wow.