After three weeks of workmen in the house, finally they’re done. I slept for 11 hours last night, with not a thing on my mind.
This super soft poly/lycra French terry is from Fabric Mart (and just sold out, they’re having a huge sale on knits). This is my second garment in poly/lycra French terry, and I am so impressed with it. Much nicer than cotton or rayon terry.
Just a few sewing notes:
I’ve made this wonderful cardigan about 8 times, both short and long. Yes, I love it. Thank you again, Helen!
I sew the Size Large (and I’m pretty small, it’s close-fitting).
As with my navy fleece version (here), I made a larger pocket and extended it onto the band and across the side seam.
I just took a walk in the garden, it’s such a lovely day. It’s spring and everything is blooming.
My husky cherry tomato is suddenly over 6″ tall and full of bloom and babies.
The orange jasmine trees (murraya paniculata) have been covered with flowers and even have some fruit. I had them trimmed about 6 weeks ago – they love a haircut. They’re not citrus, but, as with a citrus tree, trimming them stimulates flowering. And although they’re often mistaken for the mock orange (Philadelphus coronarius) that grows so rampantly in Hawaii, they’re not even cousins. I think the association arises from the orange-blossom fragrance that they share.
And Ms. Guava is loaded with buds and starting to bloom.
I hope everyone is enjoying a nice weekend. Ciao! Coco
Small post…I made a couple favorites with fun variations. The cardigan is the Blackwood from Helen’s Closet, and the cami is my button front version of the True Bias Ogden Cami.
Fabrics: Cardigan, Pastel Rose Tan Poly/Rayon/Lycra Distressed French Terryt, and the Cami, Ashen Gray/White 100% Cotton Tweed Shirting by Halston. Both are from Fabric Mart.
Mostly pics, but earlier posts with details are here and here.
I used clear buttons on the cami, something less than 1/2″, from La Mode. The ‘weight’ really suits this shirting. I also put them only 2″ apart, 8 in all.
Recent sewing aspiration, I’m making a couple ‘Tom Selleck’ shirts for my son, as a prelude to a dress shirt. He wears Robert Graham shirts and asked if I can do something similar. What a compliment. Bye for now – Coco
Just to shake things up a bit, I used a ‘distressed’ poly/rayon/lycra French terry from Fabric Mart. What an adventure, this is truly a funky fabric.
Distressed – the loop side is actually the front side, and it has patches of deconstructed threads, similar to distressed jeans.
This made for some interesting sewing challenges 🙂
Before I did any sewing, I staystiched the cut threads on the edges of the pattern pieces. Using a ‘helper’ (my double hole threader) really helped.
I had to be gentle with the fabric to avoid catching the threads unintentionally. And I used a lot of basting since pins slipped out so easily.
I decided to face the waistband with a lightweight woven fabric. Here’s a view before the facing – notice the drooping. It really bugged me.
After adding the facing – much better, and I like the added weight:
Update on my techno-gadgets: I took these photos with my new iPhone, first time! I haven’t conquered the subtleties of the camera, but I love the quality of the pics. It was also the first time I used my Arkon tripod phone adapter. This thing is really neat and so easy to use!!
I sewed my usual size large (bust measurement is only 33″) and again added 1″ to the length.
This fabric is a super soft midweight rayon French terry knit from Cali Fabrics. They have such a nice selection of this fabric…worth a look.
Truth time: it has so much horizontal stretch that I used my walking foot (not something I do often).
Next up, I paired the cardigan with pinwale corduroy Vogue 8584 loose pants.
I’ve been sewing this pattern for years, all the variations. Love it. I think it’s out of print, but I’ve seen it on Etsy and eBay.
I sewed the size 12, with no changes.
This beautiful stretch pinwale corduroy is from JoAnn (97% Cotton, 3% Spandex). My store had only two selections, but there are many more colors and prints available online. The little bit of stretch is great.
Hard to see, but there, I used the cute curved pockets sewn across the hip (goony pic follows).
Prepping the pockets took almost as much time as sewing the pants. But I really enjoy details. Not in the mood? just square the bottom corners.
Finishes – the hem and waistband casing:
I have another pair in the rust corduroy I used for my Utu skirt, also from JoAnn. BTW, a couple washings really soften this pinwale.
Up next, I ordered 3 beautiful shirting fabrics, so there are more Named Clothing Saraste shirts in my future!
I sewed the size Large, as with all my versions. Previous adjustments are detailed in first first version (here).
Something different: I modified the pockets to be a little wider, with a cut-on facing, and placed them about 2″ above the hem,and, yes, across the bottom band. This is much lower than the pattern has them. But I love how this looks (as in the pic above).
Fleece is usually pretty stable, not stretchy, and this one worked for me. No interfacing needed.
I love to sew fleece, here are some views of finishing details:
And more happiness.
Parting shot: I think I need a new pair of readers for the loft. Wonder Woman has broken her sewing glasses in TWO places…