It’s 94 degrees outside, and I’m taking full advantage of the drape and float of rayon challis. This little number is a play on the Grainline Studio Felix dress.
I apologize for the ‘bad’ photos. I was using my camera phone, had it propped on a pillow in a chair, and I just didn’t feel like getting picky. But I do love this pattern. The neckline is so flattering, comfortable, and feminine. See the zebras? This challis is from Fabric Mart’s ‘Famous Dress Designer’, snagged on sale at $4.20/yard. So cute!
I recently redrafted my Felix pattern to size 6 (my previous pattern was size 8, and it was way too big on me).
As in past versions, I did not line this dress. It’s so simple to make without a lining.
I also cut both sides of the bodice using the right bodice pattern pieces. This puts evenly-distributed fabric weight into the bodice/skirt seam. And it bypasses the tricky sewing of the band, as described in the original pattern. IMHO, that band treatment alone can be very off-putting and significantly raises the difficulty level of this dress.
A tip on the band: rather than use fusible interfacing, I underlined the band with lightweight poly/cotton broadcloth. All those bias edges are challenging enough without having a fusible shrink the fabric. Honestly, I seldom use fusible interfacing now, it’s just too likely to compromise the shape, size, and appearance of a pattern piece. Shirt and coat-makers, do not cringe. There are some lovely fusible interfacings available for those garments.
For fun, I added 4″ to the midi-length hemline, and then I added a 5″ deep ruffle. Kicky 🙂
Since this version is sleeveless, I also trimmed about 5/8″ off the entire armscye before adding self-fabric bias binding.
This is actually my second dress with this design. The first is also in rayon challis from Fabric Mart, but overwhelmed with house decisions, I just posted it on Instagram. I also wore it for 4 days running, while waiting impatiently for the zebras to arrive.
I am such a fan of the Felix dress. When it first came out, I made a couple right away.
Interestingly, I made the size 8, and it was big on me.
By the time I made my beloved pickle green version, I was holding it in the back to take a picture 🙂
Time to rethink and redraft. I reprinted the pattern and drafted the size 4. Big difference! And it also highlighted an issue I often encounter. I’m flat-chested, and my left shoulder is 3/4″ higher than my right shoulder (scoliosis at work). The resulting bodice, with no changes, was really discouraging. Bad on Emile, worse on me.
Having constructed the bodice, I went to work. Changes I made:
I lifted the bottom line of the bodice by about 4″, then realigned the base of the v-neck to allow for the shoulder business.
I trimmed the front skirt to have a shallow curve to match with my new bodice.
And I took a bit of the flare out of the torso area.
Last change: I did not include the pockets included with the pattern. My dress is unlined, and the original pockets do not finish nicely without the lining. Instead, I used the pockets from Simplicity 8640, a favorite, and attached them once my dress was finished.
I love to sew!
BTW, I also love the JellyPop Dallas slip-on sneakers I found at Belk. I have arthritis in my instep, and conventional lace-up sneaks hurt the top of my foot. These are so comfortable, like going barefoot (3 colors now).
It’s a beautiful cool south Florida morning! Only about 65°, and I’m actually cold in these pics 🙂
Recently I made the Grainline Studio Alder as a v-neck top, two actually, in Brussels washer linen (post here and here). After wearing them, I realized that they’re a bit large, and the v-neck is a little wider than I like. Not to worry, I washed them a few times to shrink them, and all is well.
However – I decided to draft the pattern in a smaller size (8 instead of 10) and to sew it in cotton/lycra jersey. So brave… and a great result!
As before, I used the self-faced left side for the right side as well, eliminating the attached button band. I re-shaped the v-neckline to be more narrow and 1″ higher and drafted new facings.
I can pull this over my head, so I just attached the buttons through both sides, with no buttonholes. Yes, I was avoiding the angst of sewing a buttonhole in a knit fabric!
To add some back interest, I added 2.5″ to the width of the lower back and gathered it into the yoke.
The back yoke is unlined, which keeps the ‘weight’ of the fabric even from neck to hem and decreases bulk in the armhole binding.
My finished center back length is 26.5″.
And I didn’t used pockets on the front. I did cut them out and prep them, but they didn’t look right, they were just too heavy for this knit.
I’m loving the pants I’m wearing, McCalls 7634 (first post here). A little tattoo art for Halloween!
Speaking of Halloween, my cute Ashley in costume for the Halloween party she and Darrin host every year 🙂
Second post today. I’ve been in house-cleaning mode all day (I should be wearing a Lucille Ball head scarf), and I decided to take a break and get some photos of a blouse that’s been aging in the loft. So I can wear it 🙂
I love the Grainline Alder dress, it has such a nice silhouette, and it’s easy to modify. For this blouse, I decided to create a fold-and-gather detail for the back. Back details on garments intrigue me. IMHO, something should be interesting both coming and going.
Itty bits: I split the back and drafted it to have a fold with gathers in a lower skirt.
The fold is at the height of the bust dart and is 1″ deep. I added a couple inches to the bottom piece for the gathers.
Love this look. Kind of Audrey Hepburn. I think it would be fantastic on a dress version.
I wanted to take pics outside, but the rainy season persists. Wind, rain, but the garden and I are happy.
While doing all the terry cloth project clean-up, I realized I have more things to blog. I have had them hanging in the loft, and they’ve been neglected! Another day…