Lekala 4162 jacket – street style

That magic moment – inspiration, pattern, and fabric…

Cruising Pinterest one day, I happened on this pic, and I knew I wanted to go for it. What a terrific look for Florida, jeans, and a little attitude.

My pattern search led me to Lekala 4162 ( I love Lekala patterns),

And my fabric search led me to Kaufman Balboa linen (design by Erin dollar) at Fabric.com.

Ready, set, go!

About Lekala patterns – You can enter your own measurements (recommended) or choose from a standard size range. They are very inexpensive (about $3.49 for this one) and for $.50 more, they include a 3/8″ seam allowance! This jacket fits me perfectly, even the sleeve length, with no changes at all.

About the fabric – Kaufman Essex linens, the substrate for the Balboa line, are my favorites for pants, shorts, jackets, Yari jumpsuits, and Alder shirtdresses. My choice for this jacket is a white print on white Essex, which had a big influence on how I constructed the jacket.

While the pattern has instructions and pieces for a lining, I did not want facing or lining ‘show-through’. I was after a consistent appearance. So I cut out two complete sets of the pattern, the outside in linen, the inside in linen with poly/cotton broadcloth sleeves (easy on/off entry to the sleeve).

And I used the front facing pattern piece to cut out woven sew-in interfacing (Pellon SF785), attached to the lining.

Once both components were constructed, I just sewed them together, all but cuffs, and turned them through a sleeve.

I’m in love with this jacket! It’s totally wash and wear, and it adds a little juice to my wardrobe 🙂

Parting note: I want to thank all of you, my friends, for the caring and supportive messages you’ve left me. You make me float, and I’ll remember your words every day. From the heart, Coco

Lekala 5712 Faux Fur Jacket


This has been a really fun and time-consuming journey! A faux fur jacket…Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 1.44.32 PM

First step: I purchased several yards of walnut sherpa knit from Fabric Mart. Then I had to do some research: Sherpa is the term for faux shearling, and the foundation is the Sherpa region of Nepal. I felt really brave ordering this fabric, but it’s wonderful. It’s polyester (as are many faux furs), and it has a full tuft on a pretty jersey knit backing.

Then I spent at least a couple days just browsing fur and jacket patterns. There are so many examples of the ‘teddy bear’ coats online, as well as sherpa coats, but I wanted a short jacket, something I can throw on to go to the grocery. I’m so cold in stores!

Finally, I came upon this pattern by Lekala. It was unexpected, as I’ve never sewn a Lekala pattern, but this one is designed for faux fur. An interesting feature, Lekala patterns are based on customized sizing. I decided to go for it!

lekala 5712

We need another pic here…


Sewing notes:

  • I submitted my sizing as: 34 bust, 32 underbust, 30 waist, 38 high hip, 39 full hip. Normal shoulder, sleeve, etc. The pattern was $2.99, and for $.50 more I got 5/8″ seam allowances and 1 3/4″ hem allowances.
  • I love how dense the pattern is on the PDF! I get really frustrated by PDFs that have 1″ margins (Grainline, I’m talking to you) and just waste my paper and make me crazy with tape and scissors. This one does not.
  • The pattern has a 2-piece bodice, front and back, to allow for the bust. Actually, I didn’t want and don’t need this, so I flattened my pattern pieces to have a 1-piece front and back.
  • I wasn’t sure of the lengths of the arms and jacket, so I added 2″ to both. Absolutely not needed, and I ended up trimming this extra allowance off both.
  • The pattern includes instructions for cutting and sewing a lining, which I didn’t use.

The construction is straight-forward. Shoulder, collar, facing, sleeves, side seams, and hems

  • I love the collar and cut-on facing. Everything fits beautifully to the jacket.

inside 1

  • As I wasn’t using a lining, I drafted a back neckline facing.

inside 2

More pics…






I love this! Ciao! Coco