I sewed my usual size large (bust measurement is only 33″) and again added 1″ to the length.
This fabric is a super soft midweight rayon French terry knit from Cali Fabrics. They have such a nice selection of this fabric…worth a look.
Truth time: it has so much horizontal stretch that I used my walking foot (not something I do often).
Next up, I paired the cardigan with pinwale corduroy Vogue 8584 loose pants.
I’ve been sewing this pattern for years, all the variations. Love it. I think it’s out of print, but I’ve seen it on Etsy and eBay.
I sewed the size 12, with no changes.
This beautiful stretch pinwale corduroy is from JoAnn (97% Cotton, 3% Spandex). My store had only two selections, but there are many more colors and prints available online. The little bit of stretch is great.
Hard to see, but there, I used the cute curved pockets sewn across the hip (goony pic follows).
Prepping the pockets took almost as much time as sewing the pants. But I really enjoy details. Not in the mood? just square the bottom corners.
Finishes – the hem and waistband casing:
I have another pair in the rust corduroy I used for my Utu skirt, also from JoAnn. BTW, a couple washings really soften this pinwale.
Up next, I ordered 3 beautiful shirting fabrics, so there are more Named Clothing Saraste shirts in my future!
Sometimes I just want to take another look at a pattern. I first made the V8499 pants when I was much heavier, and I was trying Lagenlook styles. Thinking about it over the weekend, and having a couple yards of available Brussels washer linen, I decided to try a smaller size. So a Monday muslin 🙂
Honestly, I don’t care for this style at the moment. But these pants are not wasted – they’ll be reworked as a straight leg pant. I would really like them in a corduroy for our brief winter. And those pockets are simply too good to ignore.
Undeterred, I’m about to cut out a True Bias Yari jumpsuit in Kaufman Essex linen, yard-dyed denim. I’ve enjoyed my espresso version so much.
And that’s Monday! BTW, the pattern has a super fun skirt as well, it would be great with boots and a short chunky sweater or jeans jacket.
I’m working my way through 9 yards of this fabric! More on that later – but this is a wonderful and easy variation of the tunic top included in V9275.
I stripped it down to essentials (no curved hem or collar cord), and added 40″ to the length, marked from the waistline. For reference, I’m 5’7″, and 57″ from shoulder to the floor. And I sewed the size XS – this is a very roomy top. But the sizing really extends its possibilities across many sizes and shapes.
It’s hard to see details on black fabric, so Emile is modeling the kaftan to show the inside:
I love the cowl – it’s just about perfect in this cotton/lycra jersey.
The sleeves are deep enough to be very comfortable, and long enough not to allow inside peeks.
This is one of my favorite projects this year!
The fabric. I mistakenly ordered two fabric kits from Fabric Mart, instead of one. For $8 each. The kit included 4.5 yards of jersey and the Christine Jonson #526 wrap dress. I’m actually glad I did it, this print is so appealing.
And it will show up again soon, in an Itch to Stitch Paro Cardigan!
And I’m off to work on the cardi. Bye for now – Coco
Can you tell I’m between projects? Anytime I’m pondering what to do next, I take things out of my closet – the ones I haven’t worn – and contemplate their future…
I waited so long to find a cheetah print for a long cardigan, and I was thrilled to find this one in a hacci sweater knit. I love the fabric! but honestly, I was disappointed in the cardi.
When I put it on, I feel like it’s wearing me – just too much. But I let it percolate – a candidate for salvage.
Yesterday, I cut it off, added a band and buttons, and I love the result!
I will wear this like crazy. More views:
And a closeup of the back and hood on Emile…
How I got there:
I brazenly cut the cardi 19.5″ below the finished neckline.
And I cut a band from the remnant. I wanted the band to be 2″ wide, so I cut it at 5 1/4″ wide and about 42″ long. That was longer than I needed, but I wasn’t sure how the bodice would gather into the band.
I added five 1/2″buttons, no buttonholes, along with #4 snaps. A note on this: I wanted to use buttonholes, but I had not sewn my facing with enough interfacing to facilitate them. Kind of a disappointment, but I was out of tear-away stabilizer. I practiced with the hacci and other external stabilizers, and I feel sure it’s feasible for future garments.
This was so much fun that I’m contemplating a similar cardigan with another hacci in my stash.
So, the post office has promised delivery today of a few fabrics I ordered. Now I don’t know what I’ll do next – what a great problem 🙂