MOB Dress V1 is complete!

Live from the garden for a change! It has been so long since I took photos outside. But my patio and walks have been cleaned of  their rainy season mold, the air is lovely and cool, and the sun is staying just behind the clouds – perfect for the camera. 
Ms. Squirrel let me down, no doubt getting into trouble in the neighborhood with her buddies…
I finished this ‘muslin’ not long after I posted ideas for my MOB dress and showed the bodice of this dress.  I love it. And I love ITY knit. It’s just heavenly to sew and wear. Once it’s sewn, the iron goes away forever, and it travels like a dream. 
Clementine Floral ITY Knit – Fabric Mart
To reprise, it’s a mix of two patterns:
Bodice and skirt – New Look 6936

Sleeves and bodice sleeve armscye redraft – Vogue 1315

I added a 1.5″ waistband and casing (finished width), in which I inserted 3/4″ elastic. The casing is woven broadcloth, which supports the weight of the ITY skirt. 
The bodice, skirt, and waistband are all 42″ in width, so no gathering is required 🙂 The small gathers provided by the elastic are just enough to ease my full bust and allow the skirt to fall nicely past my hips without clinging.
I’m really pleased with the bodice – all that careful fitting paid off.
Ideas continue – I just finished the muslin of another dress, totally different from this one. And I like it so much that I ordered some fabric for a second version. Ashley’s colors are pink and latte, so I’m keeping them in mind as I shop. I definitely will not wear orange!
Lawn – Fabric Mart, Cotton/poly sweater knit – Fabric.com

I also got the Vogue 8885 shrug pattern in the mail, and I’ve put it aside as too fussy. Instead I’m working on a muslin of View B of McCalls 6461 – it’s one of my very favorite cardigan patterns. I’ve sewn it 4 times in various ways, and admit I’ve never blogged it.

It has a really cute twisted tee pattern thrown in. I’ve not sewn it, but I’ve seen some nice versions on the web.

A couple more pics – Ashley’s bridal shower is the end of January, maybe I’ll wear this dress!
Ciao! Coco

Mother of the Bride dress…first muslin

Now that the holidays are behind us, I’m thinking wedding…

I visited with Ashley the weekend after Christmas for some girl time…and a trip to David’s Bridal! She found the most beautiful dress – it is just what she had envisioned for herself. Such excitement, a few tears, lots of happiness.  She also got an exquisite corset and shoes, as well as her gown preservation drop-off box.

Then we went off to lunch to relive it all. Such a memorable time with my girl.

Note: the original decision to make her dress was fleeting 🙂 Shopping for a gown and watching her face was such a wonderful experience.

Now I’m working on my dress! I’ve been thinking about it so much, trying for an idea that will work well with her venue and theme, while being comfortable and elegant.  I know I want a maxi dress with long sleeves, so I won’t be at all concerned with scleroderma scars and so on on my arms and legs.

For my first idea/muslin, I’m using pieces of two patterns. The dress is based on New Look 6936, which I made as a maxi dress in matte jersey for Jungle January 2013…

And I’m using the narrow sleeves from Vogue 1315, another Jungle January dress!

Redrafting the New Look bodice with the armscye from the Vogue pattern was very easy – and I’m really happy with the muslin so far:

Clementine Floral ITY Knit – Fabric Mart

As with my Jungle dress, I’ve changed the waistline elastic casing treatment. The original pattern uses 1/4″ elastic in a narrow casing formed from the bodice/skirt seam allowance. Instead, I’ve applied a 1 1/2″ wide casing (finished width) in which I’ll use 1″ elastic.

IMO, the wide casing adds interest and finish to the dress. The lining on the inside of the casing is woven broadcloth, chosen to provide stability and support at the waist area. ITY knit in a long maxi skirt can be very heavy!
I also applied binding around the neckline edge, instead of turning it inside in a narrow hem. Again, I think it looks more finished with the binding. Another plus – the binding makes the neckline very stable, really important for a crossover plunging neckline! 
Speaking of which, I fit the crossover very carefully with my intended undergarment, so it will behave when the dress is finished 🙂

I’m also thinking about another approach, loosely based on this pic, i.e., a maxi dress with a jacket or shrug.

Vogue has a beautiful pattern for a knit shrug, V8885, that includes a long sleeve option. The dress could be as simple as McCalls much-loved M6559.

And I have a luscious jersey that would be so pretty with a lace topper. The two fabrics don’t seem to match here, but they do in real life. The lace, which I found at JoAnn’s but haven’t purchased as yet, has a very soft, dense, and drapey hand.
Lime/Grey/Multi Abstract Floral Burnout Jersey
Fabric Mart
Scroll Lace – JoAnn’s
Back soon with more – Ciao! Coco

Here comes the Bride!

Ashley and Darrin are engaged! 
I should have posted this sooner (like 2 or 3 weeks ago) but there’s been a flurry of visiting, looking at dresses, then at patterns and fabric, and calling back and forth. A few tears. Lots of thanks for many blessings.
My heart is full. I am so very happy for these two wonderful people who enhance my life and love one another so well.
Ashley and Darrin met 3 1/2 years ago, and the sun seemed to shine on them from the beginning…
First Date

Believe me, I was thrilled. Ashley is such a warm and outgoing person, friends everywhere, but that special one seemed just over the horizon…

Darrin is special. Fun, serious, loving, quiet, responsible, dependable, loyal, and very caring. 
He puts a smile on my girl’s face every day. And she puts one on his as well. 

Wedding day is January 31, and yes, Ashley and I are making her dress together! More on that later…
Bye for now, Coco