I could not resist the opportunity to draft the True Bias Ogden Cami with a button front. Yes, I was inspired by the Style Arc Portia Top. Kind of irresistible. My woven muslin of the original pattern fit perfectly, but, IMHO, it lacked that little bit of detail that would make the pattern pop.
BTW, below I’ve described my changes, but if it’s more comfortable for you, the Portia is a nice alternative.
So, my top. A couple pics on Emile, front and back. I didn’t mess with the back because it works so well for me – I have a broad back and the pattern gives me that extra ease.
This was so easy to do. I ordered some Ralph Lauren black cotton batiste from Fabric Mart specifically for this top. Batiste is a little lighter and more supple than lawn and a bit heavier than voile.
Sewing notes: I made changes to the front and the front lining.
- Front first – I added 1/2″ at the center front for the button band overlap, and 1 1/2″ for the button band facing.
- The lining – I added 1/2″ at the center front to match the front changes.
- And I cut fusible tricot lining for the new front button band, 1″ wide.
- Of course I practiced my buttonholes and stitches. I loosened the tension on my upper thread for straight stitching, but was OK with the buttonholes once I found the right size.
This top is so perfect with my cardigans. Off to the grocery…
Winner! bye for now – Coco